Thursday, November 12, 2009

Just slow down, Jim!!


My dad is an adrenaline junkie- he "retired" to a 100 acre farm with cattle, he's a mechanic and he still dabbles in repairs ("Johnny Cash may be dead, but Jimmy Cash is alive and well!"-Jim Suter), he hunts, he fishes, he still races his mountain bike. Hell, he even takes square-dancing in Florida and makes it a competitive sport!!He's very cool- he introduced me to CCR, dirtbiking and downhill skiing. This is a guy that just won't stop and he's almost 66 years-old....

But in August he had a biking accident that left him unconscious, without memory and a huge headache. Now, he's suffering what seems to be symptoms of an undiagnosed brain injury from that accident. But, true to my dad's youthful spirit, he's still farming and doing manual labour that would make me take Robaxacet for 2 weeks! That guy is unstoppable!! He's admirable, he's wise, he's generous.....I just wish he would slow down. Is that selfish of me? I don't want to banish him to a rocking chair with a pill organizer....I just want him to stop making everything in life a race. But I realize that's not possible for him....he's a competitive spirit no matter what I say or do. AND I love him for that. But it also irritates me. After all, I worry about keeping my dad in one piece while he nurtures his adventurous side.

But when I think about it, I wouldn't know my dad very well without his competitive edge. I guess the secret to my happiness is figuring out how to love him while he lives life the best way he knows how....in first place!

1 comment:

Rita said...

You know if he did slow down then you wouldn't really know him for who he genuinely is, this is who he is fast paced energetic and by the looks of the picture quite a handsome man at that, you can only love him in one way and that is the way you love him now, with your all!.

I hope that he gets well soon not only for him but for all those that love him. xx