Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Operating Room Drama


I have been hesitant to post much about the operating room because it really is a forbidden world. There are a lot of things going on while a person is having an operation, sometimes even a lot of drama. I experienced some of that drama recently.

There is a surgeon at the hospital where I work who is very good at what he does. He is an excellent surgeon and he is brilliant. What he isn't, is easy to work with......

Before I scrubbed in, the nurses in the room asked me, "Have you ever worked with Dr. "bleep"? ( I am bleeping out his name). "No", I replied. "Well," they said, "he is a very smart man and you can learn a lot from him if you want to." So, I'm thinking, this could be good....he's smart and I can absorb some of it! Win/Win!! "But," the nurse warned, "if he starts saying 'good God almighty' we will know it is time to step in and help you out." So, I'm thinking- Awesome! I can learn AND they are not going to let him eat me alive if things aren't going well! It could be a great day!!

.....could was the key word.....

About 30 minutes into the long case, that surgeon started uttering his "good God almighty's". So, I start looking around the room, expecting someone to come save me. Nobody comes. So, I suck it up and continue to work away, doing the best I can...

About 50 minutes into the case he starts raising his voice. "Motherf*cker! What the hell is the problem with this?!!? Everyone flinches, but nobody saves me.

About 60 minutes into the case- "Motherf*cking C**ksu*ker!!! Why is this happening??" Now, I am getting worried. He is upset with the way the surgery is going so I know that it is bound to come back to me...I mean, I am the only one standing there, right? Certainly I will become this guy's punching bag...and did I ever! Suddenly, if he didn't like the way I handed him something he wouldn't accept it- just stood there with his hand open, waiting, or even worse he would let the instument drop to the bed. JERK!! But, more importantly, NOBODY CAME TO RESCUE ME.....so I started pounding this doctor's hand with the instruments, and all you could hear was his glove slapping. I was feeling pissed off, confused and abandoned...and then I suddenly felt as though I could only count on myself. I quickly realized that he needed me. He needed to be able to count on me even if he was going about it the wrong way.

I felt as though I may be a real-live OR nurse.

At the end of the case, when my face was red from indignation, and the surgical site was closed, the doctor said, "Thank you very much. You did a great job." I wanted to punch him and hug him at the same time! (but, more punch) Because he did teach me a hard lesson- that I have nobody to count on but myself, my skills and my knowledge- and neither does the surgeon I am working with.

I just never want to work with that jerk again.

1 comment:

KristywithaK said...

Ahhh! I'm stressed just reading your post! Glad you survived!!