Friday, November 7, 2008

Big News! Teenagers feel Entitled!!


I'm starting to feel used-up again. Anyone who has kids knows what I'm talking about- kids need, kids want, kids get= parents used. I usually get this feeling when I haven't been able to run for a couple of days or when my "stress cup" runneth over. I'm feeling the need for some balance!!


This morning before Emma left for school (..."and mom, I have to cheerlead until about 5pm so you can pick me up then"...) she plunked a stack of paper in front of me. In her typical bout of verbal diarrhea I realize that she wants me to sign forms so she can go on a school trip to Italy in 2010. O.K.......it's a chaperoned, 10 day trip to allover Italy for only $3990.00. WTF?!!? So I suggest to her that she might want to start saving and she says it. She really, really, says it:


"Mom, since this is an educational trip with the school I thought you should pay."


Well, as they say: opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one!!


Since I was stunned silent, she just kind of went away. As I sit here and ponder our exchange, I realize that I'm just being provided with another one of these "teaching opportunities" that I'm getting really F**KING sick of. But as parent, I will try to find middle- ground. Not because I really want to....but because I really have no choice....it's my RESPONSIBILITY.


God, I'm sick of that word.





1 comment:

Karen said...

Won't that be around the time of your wedding anniversary? Maybe you could just take her with you instead...I'm sure that would be educational!