Thursday, March 5, 2009

The interview.


I've decided that if a person really wants something, they will get it just because they want it so badly. I know, I know it all sounds very "The Secret" but I do think there is something to be said for focus and drive when it comes to getting what we want. It's probably the reason that I am surviving the OR course. It's probably the reason Eric and I hold our lives together amidst all the chaos. And it may be why Brandon will never get a job.

That's right. I took him to his first job interview yesterday and I'm not so sure it went well. First of all, Brandon wanted to show up in a pair of track pants pulled down so low that his underwear were peeking out. I FORCED him to brush his teeth. And then there was the interview questions.....oh my God.......questions like, "How do you feel about wearing a uniform?" and "What hours can you work?". Those were the easy ones. When I asked him what they asked and how he answered, he assured me that he told the truth. I was hesitant to ask what the meant but I did. And here's what he said,

"She asked me if I had ever been given instructions that weren't clear and how did I deal with that? I told her, 'Yeah. With my Grampa all the time.....I told her that Grampa gives me instructions that I don't understand so I ask him again. And when I still don't understand, I just do my best to figure it out.'"

OooooooooKaaaaaaay. That's not too bad....but then he tells me the next question,

"Then she asked me if I've ever done anything dangerous even though I knew it was dangerous...so I told her about how in gym class last week I put Jordan on my back so we could get the ball in the basket."

WTF?

So you can imagine my face when I heard this. Just frozen with disbelief and amazement that he would say something like that. I said to him, "Why would you say that?" and he said, "I was being HONEST, mom. She wants me to be honest when I answer the questions."

Ummmm, no she doesn't!! Anyhow, she told him that she's interviewing some other kids and would call or not call by Monday.....I'm thinking she's not going to call. I am convinced that he sabotaged his interview because he just doesn't want to work. Could this be true? Could he be that swift and cunning?? I'm not so sure......all I know is that something has to come along to make that kid want it so badly that he'll just get it. Unfortunately, I don't think that it is a job at Tim Horton's.

No comments: