Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hopeful Beginnings


Yesterday was a day of new beginnings. Sam and Krissy went to their new babysitter's for the first time. Sam spent the day outside with 2 other little boys his age, playing Candyland and Snakes and Ladders....Kristen was so thrilled that she didn't have to take the bus- the sitter lives right across the street from the school. They both cried when I told them that they aren't going there again until next week! I am so relieved that it went smoothly because it's damn scary leaving your kids with someone you really don't know that well. But they seem to like her and I believe kids are very intuitive, so I'm happy if they're happy.

Brandon and Emma started a new semester at school. Brandon is taking Phys. Ed, Science, French and Math. Yesterday, when I got home, he was sitting at the table doing homework. Unannounced and Unprovoked. Today, he was happy to tell me-"You know that homework I did last night? I got 8/10 on it, so I'm doing pretty good so far." I was quick to point out that it IS only the 2nd day and he said,

"I want to do well. I'm getting back on the right track."

I shit you not. Just like that, he's decided that he wants to do better. I personally think this has something to do with a girl. He took her to the movies last night and it was pretty cute....they met at Cadets and she goes to a different school, but he really seems interested. We all know that every man needs a good woman to calm him down. Or as Eric said, "God, I hope this is his Gwenny!" Girl or no girl, I'm just happy that he's on a good path. For now.

Emma is taking English, World Religion, Travel and Tourism and Philosophy. On the first day, her World Religion teacher announced, "......if you don't believe in God you have no morals..." Emma didn't like that very much and she took him to task. By the time she got home she was in a tizzy! I'm proud of her for standing up to him. Or maybe she's just scared because we're not a religious family and she thinks we're all doomed. Whatever the reason, I'm happy that she stood up to him for saying such a stupid thing. Philosophy sounds like such a waste of time....she says things like, "when I'm not around you, are you still there?" and "Conscience.....what IS it?" I say to stop thinking about shit so much and get on with life!! I can't believe that these courses are preparing her for post-secondary education....I guess it doesn't matter, does it? As long as Emma's happy. For now.

I like new beginnings. It reminds me that I'm not stagnating in the same routine. It also forces me out of my comfort zone so I am open to trying new things. I hope my kids feel the same because change is good.

No comments: