Thursday, December 18, 2008

Giving back is the best gift. Ever.


So, as the mom of 4 kids this time of the year can present a certain amount of stress. Buying gifts, wrapping, baking, concerts and getting ready for the Big Meal is a lot when you have a large family. So, it came as a bit of a surprise when my husband asked me if I'd like an "extra" job.

You see, his company has raised almost $2300 over the course of the year to donate to local families through the Lion's Club. Isn't that great?!!? This year, they are going to support 3 families for Christmas!! Yesterday, Eric asked me if I'd like to do a little shopping for a 40 year-old single mom.....just what I need at this time of the year, right? Well, it turns out that it was just what I needed. That and $150.......

At first, I couldn't imagine how I was going to buy for someone that I don't know. But once I got into the stores I got into a groove and had so much fun shopping for this woman. And I think I did a pretty good job, too...I'm really feeling excited that she's going to have gifts to open on Christmas. So excited, in fact, that I'd like to be there when she opens them!! LOL!

I've never been ashamed of where I've been in my life. I've been this woman. I have made decisions in my life that haven't been easy, and I'm sure she's going through the same thing. I have lived in poverty with 2 babies and the only reason I survived was because of my family. Don't get me wrong- I've worked my ass off to get where I am today, and being down in the dumps has only driven me to work harder....but my family reached into the depths of my despair and pulled me up so I could see something better. Not everyone is so lucky.

Today I Christmas shopped for a woman that I don't know. And, yet, I know her very well.

3 comments:

ariesgirl said...

My favorite posting yet.
I'm curious though....will you tell what you purchased?

Joanne said...

You would be proud....a lot of deals out there- for $150, I got her LaSenza PJ's, a cozy robe, a sweater, 2 necklaces and 3bracelets, makeup, an Oil of Olay value pack, a Body Shop body butter glimmer pack of 3, a pack of underwear, 5 prs of socks, mitts, Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul book, and chocolates.

KristywithaK said...

What a wonderful pay it forward moment Jo! You made my heart smile :)