Wednesday, April 29, 2009

There's a job for everyone.


You know, I have always been accused of being "scattered". It seems that I'm not happy unless I have at least 10 different things going on at a time, all unfinished. Even though Eric stays quiet about it (most of the time) I know that it's one of those personality traits that irriatates him because he doesn't "get" it....after all, he's very process-driven; and likes to focus his attention on one thing at a time so it gets done properly. And to be honest, sometimes I irritate myself. I have so many interests and I'm afraid that I'm going to die and never have had a chance to try the things I love at the time (for example, Scrapbooking- I love it and I have everything I need to do it, but I have no TIME) My career choices have been interesting to say the least. That's one of the things I have always loved about nursing- you can try so many different things and, essentially, change your career path without ever really changing your career.

So, since I became a nurse I have gone in some different directions. My burning interest in childbirth inspired me to become a doula. But the truth is, I've never felt a particular kinship with the doula community....I do feel that making choices in birth will affect the rest of a woman's life, but I'm not a fan of the idea of eating raw placenta as a means to avoid postpartum depression. I just am not there. Also, there seems to be an underlying disrespect that doulas have for nurses and I just couldn't walk that line. So, I started to focus on breastfeeding and the joy I felt at helping women nourish their babies. As a breastfeeding mom I know the joy and the anguish that breastfeeding can bring and I was keen to learn everything I could to help other women. So, I went back to college and took 2 breastfeeding courses for nurses- Basics of Breastfeeding and Advanced Breastfeeding. I have always wanted to gain the hours of practice needed to become a Lactation Consultant, but that's about 2200 hours! It's a goal that I still have even now......now that I'm taking the Operating Room course.

So, here I am, unemployed and back in school. Trying to figure out how all of this education and these diverse interests fit in to my career plan. I mean,a nurse, a doula with breastfeeding courses and an OR certification and a surgical background?? Where the hell is MY place in the healthcare system?!!? How does it all fit together??

Today I found out.

A hospital that's about 20 minutes away is looking to hire a nurse with birth experience, breastfeeding courses and an OR Certification to work in their Birth Centre. Say What?!!? It's a job made for me!! And even though I'm not yet done school (6 weeks and I'll be certified!!) I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that hospital knows about me. But first, I need to make a resume......hmmmm.....who knew that would be the hardest part?

No comments: