Friday, January 30, 2009

Duped by a 4 yr-old.


I'm sure it's not easy to be the youngest of 4 kids. It probably seems as though the older kids are always allowed to do more stuff, go more places. Sam has an "I CAN'T DO it" attitude and I'm pretty sure that it's because the older have always done everything for him. Well, let me tell you- I am getting tired of "Sam I CAN'T".

This kid is going to be 5 in 5 months and he whines about EVERYTHING. I know that some of it has to do with the FANTASTIC 4'S but a lot of it has been prevalent throughout the TERRIFIC 2'S and the THRILLING 3'S as well... so I have to face it: my kid is a whiner. And to make matters worse, he's not embracing the thought of being independant.....at all. In fact, it's a good thing that Kristen is so FIERCELY independent because she helps herself AND Sam. Here's a couple of examples of "Sam I can't"-

"Sam, can you please carry this loaf of bread for me?"........"I can't!" (with an exaggerated motion that his arm is about to fall off) Or, "Sam, you need to push your foot into your skate"...."I can't!" (with his foot limp as I'm trying to jam it in)

The worst part is how he winds himself up with frustration and anger. And then everyone tries to help him because nobody wants a full-blown freak out. Ya know, the more I think about it the more I realize that Sam has us all on a short leash (lightbulb moment!!). By playing the helpless role he is actually in control! Boy are we fools!! All this time we thought we just need to introduce him to "Sam I CAN"......looks like he already knows him.

That kid is not a whiner........he's brilliant!!

No comments: