Saturday, January 24, 2009

Man, I would KILL for a dull moment......




Because in my world, dull moments just don't exist. They are kinda like a full night of uninterupted sleep....just not happening.


My latest non-dull moment happened around 8am this morning as I was just waking up at Karen and Mike's house. It started with the familiar ring of my phone alerting me that I had just received a text message. So, I got myself out of bed and looked for my phone and when I found it here is some of what it said,


"..........so I guess you probably have the Health Cards, right? Sam's complaining of a sore tongue.........."


Now I love and trust my husband with every ounce of my soul and I know that he can handle any "Kid Situation" that comes up. But my Mometer went off and I knew that I was going to be needed at home. I just knew it. I arrived at home just in time to see Sam attempt to eat some lunch. It didn't go well......he screamed out, he cried and he cringed....I looked at his face and his lips were red and swollen, his cheeks were turning pink, his nose was running a bit....but his tongue looked perfectly normal. The only problem was that HE didn't feel normal at all! So I dragged my ass (and his) out in the -25 degree temperatures to head to the local walk-in clinic. When we got there we were informed that it would be at least and hour and a half before the doctor would see us. So, we waited. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. FINALLY- an hour and a half after we walked through the door, we were seen. Dr. Blakfjlajdflaskjdfldkfja looked in Sam's mouth and said it was normal. He looked at his lips and said, "They are a bit red but otherwise normal." ........um........ok. So I told him that this was not actually "normal" for Sam. So he gave me a cream. He said, "Zis iz a cream for coodsowes" I said, "Oh? Coldsores? What is it called? He doesn't have any coldsores?" So he shows me the 'script and it says CORTISONE. And then he says, "I'll poot him alzo dis andibiodics in case he 'as an infedctijon"


OK. So we go home and my Nurse's Brain is telling me that this doesn't sound right but I try a little of the cream. And, of course, Sam licks it within seconds and gets the cream on his already sore, sore, sore tongue. All hell broke loose. Now he's SCREAMING and CRYING and DROOLING and BESIDE HIMSELF. His cheeks were a scarlett red and he couldn't get a grip! So, Eric and I packed him into the van and drove him to emergency at the hospital. There, the triage nurses looked at him and decided to really fast-track him (a swollen mouth is the golden ticket into the ER apparently!) He was triaged, registered and seen by a doctor within 40 minutes! It turns out he may have the early stages of Hand, Foot and Mouth disease, a viral infection. He has no sores anywhere yet, but the doc said it would likely happen in the near future. In the meantime, he said, "Absolutely stop administering the cream." and he gave us a prescription for some Xylicaine which freezes his little mouth.


And now, he is happily playing with Kristen and not in pain....but still a pain in the ass.

No comments: