Monday, January 19, 2009

Exam Week


It's that time of the year! It's EXAM WEEK....the end of the first semester is nearing and the report cards will out in a couple of weeks....

It's the time of the year when I hear "rumblings". That's right, rumblings. Casual comments in passing conversation like, "School was ok today. Becca and Steph and I went out for lunch at the pizza place and, yeah, I think I'm going to pass math but it won't be by very much." And just this morning- " I only have 2 exams and a tech project, but my tech project isn't going very well because I accidently deleted the template and my teacher hates me so he won't help me. No! Ask Conner! The teacher hates me! He wants me to fail."

So, because both of the kids are in high school now, I am not monitoring their study habits or concerning myself too much with whether they pass or fail. I am simply going to watch their actions and then watch the consequences of their actions unfold. It's kinda killing me to do it, but I am FORCING myself to not get involved. I have already been to high school. I have had my high school experience and now it's time for theirs.

We recently had dinner with friends from England and they told us that high school ends at age 14. At that point kids either go on to post-secondary education or get out in the workforce. Can you imagine? Here, we are practically scared to let our kids wipe their own asses before they're 16!

Man, exam week is so enlightening.

No comments: