Thursday, January 22, 2009

Full Circle.


Tomorrow, I'm going to help my dear friends Karen and Mike move to Rocklyn. It's a village outside of Meaford that probably has a population of 100. I know Rocklyn well myself as I lived there many years ago. In fact, it seems as though a lifetime has passed since I lived in and operated the Rocklyn General Store. At that time, Karen also lived in Rocklyn 2 houses away from me and Mike lived just down the street. I didn't know Mike very well then because he was still quite young but Karen and I lived as 2 single mothers who supported each other emotionally several times a day. I wasn't TECHNICALLY a single mother, (I was married) but I may as well have been.........do you get my drift?

It really feels like Karen and Mike have gone full-circle now that they are moving back out there. Obviously they feel a pull toward Rocklyn and I'm sure part of it is sentimental....there certainly isn't any other reason to move there unless you value super-sized snowstorms, dial-up and absolutely NO ammenities. But I'm kinda envious of the fact that they are moving to that small village with very few neighbours, no stoplights, and zero crime. I'm a little jealous that when they step into their backyard this summer they will not hear the drone of traffic or smell an excess of pollution.

But then I think about the crickets and the cow shit.

This summer when the sound of the crickets at night drive them crazy and the smell of cow manure being spread in the surrounding fields drive them into their house, they may wish for a little traffic. It is then that I realize that nobody is ever happy 100% of the time. So I consider myself lucky to have an open invitation to their country home and they will always be welcome at our place. Friends do help to balance things out for us, even without trying.

1 comment:

Karen said...

LOL - I spit iced tea all over the place!!!

I won't be able to hear crickets for the sound of the country music at the local junior farmers dance!
I won't be able to smell cowshit because I'll be too busy slamming my window shut when the neighbours are burning their tractor tires to save $20 in recycling fees!!