Friday, January 16, 2009


The worst thing a teenager could admit to his peers is that he has parents. Did you ever notice that at a certain age teens start to pull away from their parents like they have leprosy? Well, Brandon has become one of those teens. So when I found out that he's been skipping classes again it was a natural decision for me to walk him to class and embarrass him. He was MAD when I told him I'd be driving him to school this morning. He was adamant that he would not be going to classes if I came into the school. He felt sick to his stomach on the way to school. But I didn't care. I told him,

"You've lost your way and I'm going to help you find your way back. Sometimes when you come from a place of love, it means doing tough things. I love you so much that I'm willing to do them."

I think he partially accepted that, but he didn't like it! So, we got to his class just after the bell and the teacher was already conducting a lesson. He looked at me standing in the door and I said, "I'm helping Brandon get to his class this morning." The teacher got a big smile on his face and I looked at the sea of faces in the classroom and they all had their mouths hanging open (like most teens do, but they actually looked a little shocked). Then I told the teacher that I was aware that Brandon skipped his class yesterday, but it was not parent-approved and to give him whatever punishment is necessary. I left that school today feeling as though I had dealt with a problem, not just floated through the problem. Believe me- I'm no fool. I know that problems are creeping up just as fast as I deal with them but the point is that I didn't feel helpless today. I felt as though I did something that may help Brandon think twice about skipping in the future. But it doesn't stop there!! I've also told Brandon that I'm going to talk to his music teacher about kicking him out of his beloved band if he skips any more classes. Anyone who knows Brandon, knows that MUSIC IS HIS CURRENCY.

Eric and I have resigned ourselves to the fact that Brandon is unlike anyone we've ever known. He's an individual in a world of teenaged clones and that makes life tough for him. But we will always love this kid and his idiosyncrisies even when he makes loving him so TOUGH. Deep down inside he knows that he's loved so much and that is going to help him find his way. I just know it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Action /////Reaction Great

KristywithaK said...

Kudos chicky! One things fer sure, you've got one big set of shiny brass ones!!